Wednesday 22 May 2013

35. A BOX OF METAL STUFF...


I am conscious of the fact that my titles may be getting a tad unimaginative....

I got a box in the mail yesterday that was chock a block full of this..



....look at all that stuff. Mmmmm – stuff.

Before you ask – the blue handled thing to the left is not actually going to be a part of the bike, but is required to attach other bits that will be part of the bike, to the bike. This is obviously an area that could easily have caught one not so prepared as myself unawares – it turns out many of the things you need to do in the construction of a bicycle require tools specifically designed for that job and that job alone (though I suppose I could re-task this one as a makeshift club or something...).

I am assuming this is part of some frightfully well planned plot on the part of the Bicycle Mechanics World Wide Brotherhood to ensure their services are not easily done away with. There are a couple of tools I have come across that go into the $400-$500 mark (that it is not my intention to purchase by the way). Trick for new players.

I ordered all this stuff from an online outfit in England who were considerably cheaper than any of the other places I had a look at and even do free postage if you order over $99.00 worth of gear (something I’m outstandingly good at co-incidentally).

This is a practice that is the subject of quite a lot of discussion in the bicycle press currently, with the argument being put forward by many, that we (by which they mean – ‘I’) should be giving our business to local bike shops instead of feeding the insatiable and growing appetite of the ravenous beast that is online retailing. I do feel a little bit guilty about this (my wallet less so) which is convenient as it allows me to utilise the discussion of that guilt as the subject for another blog - everyone is a winner....except the local bike shop.

One of the downfalls of online shopping is that you don’t get to check the thing you’re buying before you leave the shop with it. A risk that has unfortunately been illustrated by the inclusion of a chain ring in my box o goodies that is different to the one I ordered. As a result I have two 34 tooth chainrings instead of a 34 and a 36.

So now I get to find out how good this particular online retailer is at customer service when it doesn’t involve me giving them money.

Should be a hoot.

Next: The ethical quandary that is online shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment