Friday 28 June 2013

44. INSERT CUP A INTO STEM B

Well it’s raining again. Mind you it’s been raining all week and then some in the big city (Sydney not Cessnock) so for a change they’re all up to their necks in water and I get to look confused when I hear about it instead of the other way around. So I can’t complain too much right?

Does mean I haven’t been able to get out for a ride as much as I would like to, and by that I mean absolutely bloody well need to, lest all the good work I've done turning my soft and spindly legs into storehouses of barely contained raw power just waiting to be unleashed in athletic endeavour, go to tragic waste. 

I suspect this enforced inactivity may have contributed to my criminal lack of motivation in the whole ride a bike, blog about riding a bike sphere. I realise I haven’t written anything on this blog since my rather random ranting of last week so shame on me for letting down my loyal readership........all 7 or 8 of you.

In an effort to kick my arse out of this shameful slackness I bit the bullet and actually put some stuff on the bike today.

To be more precise 
I used the thingy marked ‘A’ instead of the considerably more expensive thingy marked ‘B’....










 to put these thingy’s (which when put all together are known as a 'headset')..













...by means of the process pictured on the left in the picture below to end up with an installed headset as pictured on the right in the picture below...

















All clear?

And besides one or two dodgy moments when I thought I had jammed the silly thing in sideways and would have to cut it all out with a hacksaw or something (remedied via the judicial application of the my state of the art wacking hammer), it all went very smoothly.

Brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure bikes never were this complicated when i was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think that, but I had to change the tube on my daughters bike the other day and it was much harder than doing the same on mine what with the backpedal brakes and all the nuts and stuff.

      Mind you. Some of the crap they attach to the new full suspension mountain bikes scares the hell out of me.

      Delete
  2. I'm very impressed with your thingy marked "a"; it's very MacGyver-esque! Very glad you're back on the bike with your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete