Thursday 12 September 2013

50. 2013 WOLLOMBI WILD RIDE 'RACE' REPORT

Last Saturday at 0915 I lined up for the start of the 2013 Wollombi Wild Ride (30 km version).

It was my very first bicycle race - not counting several impromptu sprint events between me and the State Rail timetable in the days when making it to Berowra station by 0800 was the difference between attendance at my first 2 lectures or an hour and a half spent in Berowra's less then stimulating central 'business' district.


I should point out here that the race was not so much against the very many quite fit and outstandingly well equipped riders that made up the 500 strong field, but more against the triple threat of my own fitness, the ability of the Mongoose to continue changing into a useful gear once wet and of course the need for my body to lie down and go to sleep after the night shift I had worked immediately prior to the event.

While I know for a fact I wasn't the oldest rider on the course by a long way, I'm pretty sure the Mongoose was close to the oldest ride, evidenced by numerous comments along the lines of 'You did the ride on that bike. Hey well done man' (and thank you SO MUCH for your pity). 


Couldn't really be helped though due to the late arrival of the final component I needed to finish the new bike. Honestly - I reckon I would of done it on the Mongoose regardless, just to give it an honourable and well deserved last hurrah for it's loyal service.

UPSIDES
I did indeed finish, in 1 hour 35 minutes and 57 seconds according to the little timing tag I had velcroed to my left ankle, and I was pretty happy with that. Plenty of people in front of me of course, but more than a few behind and I even overtook a couple of people on the run home.

Also - I totally didn't die while pushing my bike up the really quite absurdly steep hills.


DOWNSIDES
Aside from the photographers on the course whose photos of me made it pretty clear I have a fair amount of work left to do in the protruding gut department (I unfortunately can't post any of these photos as I 'accidentally' deleted the link to them from my inbox....and unleashed a virus into the web that should by now have deleted them and all websites on which they reside....and had the photographer and all his minions quietly disposed of...), none that I can think of.


All in all it was a thoroughly worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.

Two things I reckon I'd address if I did it again:

1. I might consider not working the night before, not so much for the race (the effort of propelling a bike all over the place focusses the mind quite nicely indeed) but I suspect my conversational ability come Saturday afternoon was somewhat deficient.

2. The weight of my bike could do with some adjustment. And here I am at an advantage - because while all those carbon equipped lunatics that finished the 60km race in 20 to 30 minutes more than it took me to ride half that distance have to shell out hundreds of dollars to save 3 grams by switching to kevlar shoelaces, I reckon I can dump 20 kilos by drinking slightly less beer and leaving that brownie on the Trading Post's counter next time I'm in getting 'milk'......



All hail the mightly Mongoose. Official race number in place. Disc brakes. Clipless pedals. More than 60mm of suspension - These are for the WEAK (I'm talking to you Arthur).


6 comments:

  1. I love the disposable kickstand. Saves heaps of weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actual real kickstands are the height of bad bike fashion and as such I would not be seen dead with one....

      Delete
  2. Congratulations man that's awesome!

    So does the Mongoose get retired now? I seem to remember you mentioning it as its last hurrah but I might be thinking of that other riding blog I occasionally read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plan A. for the Mongoose is new handlebars a MUCH more comfortable (see, I was going to go for 'wider' there but stopped myself just in time) seat and get my wife onto it for family riding. I have some reservations about this option bike geometry wise (also - I would like an excuse to buy another bike). We will see.

      Delete
  3. I probably don't need to say this to you, but having a bike you LIKE to ride means you're (she's) much more likely to want to ride it. I don't know a lot about bikes, but having ridden the odd one or two, I know that I have enjoyed riding some more than others, and -- now that you've given me the words for it -- geometry definitely makes a difference. I like the shape and ride of my old Giant Rincon ... AND it doesn't have a kickstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Particularly when she's not that into cycling from the get go (due to an early conflict with the back of a car whilst she was on her bike).

      Delete