Wednesday 3 April 2013

14. WEAR AND TEAR.....



See what that is. That’s a picture of my very nearly worn out back tyre. Do you have any idea how long it is since I’ve had to replace a bicycle tyre because it wore out. I had to replace the tyres that were on it when I started riding again but that was because they were unable to provide grip enough in the loose gravel of our access road to stop me ending up on my arse every 3 seconds. It’s not the same thing.

That’s nearly a year of constant exercising right there. I’m quite happy about that. More to the point I can see an actual improvement in my level of fitness which is no small feat. I managed to play rugby, which most people would probably say is a fairly physical game, for 20 odd years and still managed to manufacture a net loss of fitness over that period.

Probably had something to do with the amount of beer and crappy food consumed immediately following the games (in later years sometimes before and even during the games). In fact, and I’m sure there’s some kind of mathematical formula that could be applied to this, the longer I played, the shorter the games got, the less I trained and the more beer got drunk.

In the early years I would generally say, at whatever end of season function the Club was running, that I planned to get fit ‘in the off season’ which, while it started off as a serious expression of intent on my part, gradually turned into one of those jokes you tend to make whenever you find yourself in the company of a certain group of people, until it stops being even a little bit funny and instead just becomes a way of saying ‘I have no intention of getting any fitter and wouldn’t know how to start even if I did so let's all laugh about it hahaha....I hate myself’

Not this time though. For one thing – cycling has no off season (at least in this part of the world). It also does not require the participation of 29 other blokes and merely doing it for more than 2 weeks doesn’t make my shins feel like someone has hammered nails into them while I was sleeping (like, for example, running does).

I have come to the conclusion however that it is possible to do quite a lot of exercise and still not lose weight if you continue to eat things you shouldn’t. Which I may have started to do again. Can I just say to anyone who is reading this blog, knows me and, sees me eyeing off the bag of chips while I’m getting some milk or whatever – please feel free to whack me over the head with whatever stick like object to have handy.

It’s for my own good.

NEXT: Sooner or later I’m going to spend some money...

No comments:

Post a Comment